In “nano-thin” layers Attophotonics creates a wide range of colors without the need for chemical pigments.
Due to their particular nanostructure the layers selectively reflect a specific spectral sub-fraction whereas other electromagnetic waves are absorbed efficiently. Thus, the surface shines, dependent on the viewing angle, in a well defined color. The same principle gives rise to the sparkling colors of the wings of some butterflies.
Key properties of Attophotonics’ nano-colors
- A wide spectrum of colors
- can be printed or applied directly
- onto arbitrary surfaces
- with the same chemistry (several options available)
- efficiently using materials.
- The coatings create a modern, metallic look
- are color-fast,
- extremely heat stable (600°C) if required and
- They show characteristic absorption in the visible as well as in the IR- and UV-light spectrum.
- They can be used for colored bar-codes and
- anti-counterfeiting tags.
- Glitter-effects and
- color gradients can also be created.
The potential applications of this innovative new technology range from novel surface design and POC-diagnostics to intelligent packaging for quality control of food products.
Forms of application
Depending on material, desired additional properties and required resistance to mechanical stress, Attophotonics’ nano-colors can be applied in various ways:
- direct coating
- films, stickers/ tags